Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Vitamin N

So ya'll, I'm straight up TARD.

As in, I actually fell asleep yesterday with two loud children pounding pink legos on my legs chanting a song, in the middle the afternoon lying ON TOP of my pile of clean laundry waiting to be folded. 

Exhausted.  Tired.  TARD.  I think Chris may have even taken a picture to be used for bribery purposes some day.  Or I dreamed it.  Either way.

Last week - the week Charlotte Wiggles Pig the Frog became a permanent member of the family - also happened to be the week of "adjusting" for the extended Thomas family, and I learned the very important lesson that in a given family, everyone grieves about the same thing, but in very different ways.

Even though it wasn't necessarily me that was going through this jumble of strange emotions, I still managed to accumulate a certain amount of angst watching and listening to everyone else stumble through it.  Therefore, when I went back to work on Monday, I was absolutely plum wore out.  I had a busy day and busy night at work, which means job security, yes, but also pure exhaustion.  With no time to recover, I was back to work again Wednesday morning for another busy day and busy night. 

To top it all off, Wendi, my pilates instructor, for whom I possess equal and alternating amounts of reverence, admiration, and hatred, proclaims that sugar is "white poison" and we must stay away from it.  As Wendi is older, wiser, and has an infinitely firmer and more shapely - er, backside - than me, I have this perverse need to please her and do exactly as she says, which now means, no more white poison.

Try explaining that to a three-year-old. 

Uh-huh, I'm a super-pleasant person to be around these days.

And it all seems to hit in the evenings, when I feel like I've been run over by a freight train, my limbs weigh a thousand pounds, and I can barely hold my head up.

Which is why I googled "flu-like symptoms in the evening", and informed Chris that I either have:  a)  leukemia;  b)  hypothyroidism;  c)  tuberculosis;  or d)  all of the above.


And because I'm apparently suffering from this leukemia-tuberculositic-thyroidy-plague, I've been less able to blog as frequently as I would like.

So somehow in my fog last week, I managed to drag myself to the doctor, who did - not kidding - $1800 worth of lab tests for a $20 copay (thank you, United Healthcare), to discover that aside from a mild vitamin-D deficiency, I am a surprisingly healthy person, and am not, apparently, suffering from the plague. 

In all her great doctory wisdom, she told me it's stress, and I need to try and get some sleep.  And take more vitamin D.

Therefore, this weekend, when I've felt sleepy, instead of martyring myself for the sake of that pile of clothes waiting to be folded, I gave myself permission to take two very indulgent long, luxurious naps in the middle of the day while my kids were sleeping.  Or beating me with pink legos.  Same difference. 

Still.  A nap!  Two of them.  Heaven.

In the evenings with the weather now getting cooler, we decided we'd take the girls out to some of the festivals happening in Dallas this weekend.  We went to Addison's Oktoberfest on Friday evening, and Grapevine's Grapefest on Saturday evening.  Both "festibals" as Aria says, taught me this important lesson:  If you ever want to feel skinny and well-dressed with beautiful straight teeth, a handsome husband, and beautiful very well-behaved kids, my friends, all you need to do is attend a weekend festival at night in North Texas. 

Wow, ya'll.  All I can say is the people-watching is out of this world.  I left both places much wearier and dirtier, but with an extremely high self-esteem.  Just sayin.

Time for dinner, a fruit "smoovie" for dessert (see Wendi, I'm trying), then back to bed.  Maybe after my white poison detox is over, I'll have energy for more blogs this week...

-

No comments:

Post a Comment