Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

To Some Mommies I Love

This post is dedicated to just a sampling of the many mommies who have touched and changed my life.  Hopefully, you know who you are. 

-Mommy H, who lost your own mother before your first child was born.  I've seen you navigate all types of motherhood storms on your own, without the advice, love and support of your beloved mom, and I can't imagine how you do it.  I admire you and honor you, my sweet friend.

-Mommy S, who lost your beautiful infant daughter at birth.  I've watched you pick your life back up after this unfathomable loss and make a conscious choice to live life and love again, in honor of your precious child.  Not only that, but you make mothering five children, including twin boys, look easy!  You are my hero. 

-Mommy J, who in the ten years I've known you, seven of which have been as my wonderful sister-in-law, I have never once heard you raise your voice to your children.  You approach parenting as you approach life, with the serene calm of the Lord.  My goal is to be a mother like you.

-Mommy P, who is the ultimate personification of the spiritual gift of Mercy.  You spend every waking hour of your day serving others.  I have only to sneeze and you are at my door, meal in hand, ready to help.  You also have excellent taste and have helped me overcome the disability resulting from my missing Interior Design gene.  And did I mention you happen to be the best mother-in-law any girl could ever wish for?

-Mommy L, who made me the ultimate sacrifice of a year of your life so that Chris and I could experience the delight of parenthood.  I am beholden to you always.  Your indescribable, incomprehensible gift has completed me.  Thank you.

-Mommy K, whose grace, passion, and love for your children have surpassed this earthly life.  Because of you, Chris and I were able to know true joy.  I will forever be indebted to you.  Your work here on earth enabled us to become a family.  You are an angel.

-Mommy M, who always knows the right thing to say at the right time.  Because of you, I always ask myself, What Would M Do?  I am one road rage short of wearing a WWMD bracelet.  Thank you for silently encouraging me to be the best Good Person I can be. 

-Mommy F, whom I have watched perservere through some of life's toughest challenges.  You always, always have a smile on your face and a song in your heart.  You have been such an inspiration to me over the years, and I hope you know how much I love and respect you.  I am honored to be your niece.

-Mommy V, I haven't always appreciated you or respected you the way you deserve, especially and most pointedly during my teenage years.  But I hope I can spend the rest of my days on earth living my life as a tribute to you and the things you have taught me.  If I can impart even a fraction of the wisdom you have given me through the years to my girls, then I will consider my attempt at parenthood a success.  I learned that:  nothing good ever happens after midnight; mom will always find out the truth so go ahead and be honest; horizontal stripes don't work on a petite person; and you should write your thank-you notes within 48 hours.  But most importantly, because of you, I know Christ, and because of Christ's love, I know unconditional love.  You have also taught me invaluable lessons by modeling for me a healthy marriage, a respect for my father, a heart for God, and an inexplicably high tolerance for reptiles and insects.  Thank you for being my role model, my mother and my best friend.   

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment: